Thursday 2 April 2015

I’ve Read a Book

Now for those of you that don’t know me and for many that do, the title of this post probably doesn't make much sense.

When I was sat at the table the other day with a book laid out and me reading it, my Wife walked in and exclaimed “you’re reading a book!” her tone of shock was probably due to the fact that other than reading books to my children I have probably only read 2 books in the 20 years that we have been married.

So what was this book that had me so engrossed? Well on 25th March I had been invited to a book launch by my Cousin who, along with her friend, had written her second book, sorry I hadn't read the first one!


The book was called Tricurious and the launch was in an establishment that was for that night selling an ale called Tricurious, so all in all I felt it only right I should attend, I would support Laura, buy some raffle tickets and have my arm twisted to try some of the beer!

The launch was a great night, the beer was great and several of my raffle tickets were drawn out and I was given a copy of the book signed by both of the authors.

Well in less than a week I had finished the book, laughed out loud on the train a couple of times and been inspired to want to give The Bastion a try, even though reading the book made me feel quite old.  I had probably completed my first triathlon before Laura had mastered the art of pushing down hard on the pedal of her first bike!

I even had a mention in the book, although I’m not sure that being carted off in an ambulance part way through an irondistance triathlon is much of a claim to fame. To put this in context, I was taking part in Challenge Henley and about 20 miles into the bike I felt really dizzy, now as I only had 2 wheels under me carrying on riding seemed like a bad idea!

For anyone that is thinking of doing a triathlon, or indeed anyone who already does them, I would recommend reading the book.  Not because I am related to one of the authors but because it is a very good book full of tips and advice that is very down to earth.


I swore after ironmanUK in Bolton that I would not do another long distance triathlon but thanks to Laura and Katie I have now entered The Bastion, part of the Castle Triathlon Series.  Now following the advice in the book I just have to find a sports bra that fits to wear under my wetsuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment