Wednesday 12 June 2013

Team Skoda

OK so this is my second post in 2 days, I promise they won't be as frequent now!

As I mentioned in my last post I have been lucky enough to secure a place on Team Skoda for the Prudential Ride London 100 event.  In preparation for this I have been on a training ride starting at Crawley Down and taking in the delights of Leith Hill, it was definitely a change riding in a group rather than on my own!

There was a lot to remember about riding in a group that I have forgotten over the years so I deliberately stayed near the back to avoid getting in my fellow riders way. This also allowed me to observe the proper etiquette for riding in a group from people who were more used to it. 

Most of this is common sense, lots of signalling and not only which way you are turning at junctions! Slowing down, moving out to pass park cars and other obstructions on the side of the road, pointing out potholes in the road!

As we were approaching the bottom of Leith Hill the Pro’s from Rapha Condor,
who were guiding us, passed along the group advising us to top up on our nutrition before we hit the hill. 

Then we were on to the climb, something I was not looking forward to, my legs are not used to hills!  I was pleasantly surprised as I started to climb, my legs were being tested but them and my lungs were a match for the hill and I managed to get to the top in good time.

After a rest at the top waiting for all the riders to re-group we were off on the descent, as we set off I realised how much I didn’t like going downhill! My dad once took me down a hill at a cyclocross event on the back of a tandem to show me how quick I should go down it!! Going downhill in a group is definitely something that I lacked experience in, lots of space between riders on the descent was important to ensure that all riders could get down safely!

So safely back at base and a few more miles in my legs but a big benefit of this ride was the experience of riding in a group and the protocol required!

Another day that I spent with Team Skoda involved riding along the same bit of road several times, then getting in a team car and being transported to another location to ride along another bit of road several times, 4 locations in all. There was a purpose for this there were a number of other people around all carrying cameras!

I felt very privileged to be on this day and in the presence of some fantastic people, sitting in a team car with 2 of my Team Skoda colleagues, a top team boss and the women’s European and National Cyclocross Champion, who also happens to be ranked 2 in the world is not something that happens every day!

Talking cyclocross on this day has pricked at something in me, taking me back to my youth and memories of the fun times I had getting covered in mud! I’m now wondering if taking on The 3 Peaks is an option for next years challenge, anyone got a cross bike they can lend me for a season (or 2)???

No comments:

Post a Comment