Monday 9 September 2013

Challenge Henley

I think this is going to be the hardest write up I have ever done.

Ever since I started challenging myself to get fit I have always said no matter what I will finish the event. Well last weekend I didn't manage to finish Challenge Henley!

Things didn't start too well when on Friday trying to get my car ready to take my youngest son to his Nanny's where he was staying for the weekend, I tripped going out the front door and fell flat on my face jarring my shoulder.  By Saturday it didn't feel too bad and I thought I had got away with it.

So Saturday arrived and we travelled to Henley to register for the event,  rack the bikes and sort our different coloured bags out with the relevant kit.

All sorted, dinner eaten and checked into the hotel it was time to get some sleep!

Sunday arrived all too early! Porridge for breakfast and a cup of tea drunk it was time to head off to the start to meet up with Dave.

As we arrived at the start the Thames was covered in mist all looked very strange. A last minute check of red bag kit and the bikes complete it was time to don the wetsuits and await the start.

Due to the mist the start was delayed by 10 mins but then it was time to jump into the Thames and we were off.

The curse of The Outlaw returned and my breathing was all to pot again in the swim, I started following Dave but soon lost touch. It seemed like an age before the turn buoy arrived, at one point I thought I was getting close as I saw another swimmer going the other way but then realised they had a yellow hat on so was one of the pros! My shoulder started to hurt about 2 thirds of the way out to the turn giving twangs of pain every few strokes.

As soon as I rounded the buoy I was swamped by swimmers in green hats, the age groupers that had started 10 mins behind us!

With the mist over the water I could not see that much so had no idea how long it was to get back to the finish, eventually though I could hear the PA system so knew I was close. Arriving at the finish I was dragged onto the pontoon and on into transition.

A not so quick change and I was off on my bike. Amanda and Jennie cheered us on our way apparently I was only just behind Dave, according to the time sheets after I was only 45 seconds behind Dave at the end of the swim. He did take some more time out of me in the transition so I was just over a minute behind him starting the bike section.

I felt so much better starting the bike than I had at The Outlaw and was soon into my riding. After about 5 miles I had caught up with Dave and had a brief word as I went past, things were looking good.



Then the wheels started to come off, about 10 miles in and my shoulder flared up and was painful enough that I couldn't rest my weight on it as I rode. This pain lasted for a short while before easing off so I thought I would be ok.

Then about 20 miles the pain came back with a vengeance just as I saw Dave coming the other way, he asked if I was ok as I was riding with my arm down by my side, my response was "No"

I carried on resting my hand on my Tri-bars pad hoping the pain would relent like it had 10 miles earlier. As I reached the top of the road there was a right turn at which point I felt very dizzy. It was obvious that I would not be able to carry on and at the next junction I had to stop and lay down. 

The Marshall at the turn reported in that I was in need of medical assistance. Unfortunately the first car that arrived was on his way to a collision between 3 other riders. He stopped to give me a quick check over and ensure an ambulance was on its way to collect me.

The ambulance arrived and I was soon being checked over and transported back to the medical tent at the finish where I was checked again.

I have to say I could not have been looked after better the marshals and medical team were fantastic.

I kept a check on how Dave was doing on the website, it was great to see that he finished in a PB. I felt bad that I hadn't been able to stay to support him to the finish but I was under orders to rest as I looked a strange beige colour!

So now my attention turns to Ironman UK at Bolton next year, I am determined to sort out the problem I have with open water swimming!!

No comments:

Post a Comment