Monday 16 September 2013

Rest & Recovery

Well I have nothing fitness wise to report since my last post!

I have taken a few days to recover post Henley and then ended up having another ambulance trip on Friday, apparently I had vertigo which completely knocked me sideways.  I think it may have been a smaller attack that took me out of Henley.

I awoke on Friday morning, yes Friday 13th, with a storming headache and no control over my arms or legs.  Getting upright to go to the bathroom brought on nausea and a definite wish to be horizontal rather than vertical!

So I ended up laying flat out on the floor of my bedroom whilst Amanda called for an ambulance, fortunately my eldest was up as he was due to be going to work.  He managed to contact them and they covered his shift so that he could stay and help.

The paramedics arrived and I still had an overwhelming desire to be horizontal despite their best intentions to get me sitting up! I felt sorry for them as they struggled to get all 6ft 2 and 14st 10 of me in a chair down my stairs into the waiting ambulance!  I must loose some weight!

Anyway after a short while we were off to the local A&E with me sweating profusely and unable to open my eyes due to the fact that when I did I was so dis-orientated that I felt that they had put me in a stretcher and raised it up to the roof of the ambulance!

After what felt like an age, but was really quite quick, I was pushed into a cubicle in the A&E department of the Princess Royal Hospital. A few tests later it must have been like a scene from Casualty as I was rushed through to the resus room and the doors slammed shut in Amanda's face.  I could hear lots of people crowding around and being asked constantly if I had pains in my chest, I didn't.

Eventually a Dr managed to convince me to open my eyes and ask me to follow his finger, immediately he was relieved to pronounce that it was vertigo and that the waiting anesthetist would not be required but that I would need to go for the CT scan anyway.

Obviously Amanda had given them some history about my fitness endeavors as they noted that my oxygen levels were showing as 86, the Dr made a comment that I should be in high 90's if I only had 1 lung working so the machine must be wrong! I could hear alarms going whenever I had that little clip thing on my finger, I would later find out that this was due to my pulse going below 50 which triggered the alarm! 1 nurse later that evening would resort to taking my pulse manually due to not believing the machine!

So I have had a pretty good checkup nothing wrong with my Head, Heart or Lungs just a dodgy inner ear!

Anyway this means that I need to take longer off before starting my training for Iron Man UK in Bolton in July which means that Andy King will probably beat me in that race now, I would have beaten him if I had managed to start my training straight after Henley, Honest!!

No comments:

Post a Comment