Friday 5 July 2013

Busy Week.


Well OK it has been a bit busier than usual for training.

Sunday my wife dragged me to the pool to get some swim training done, having watched my stroke she told me that my arms cross in front of my body rather than going straight forward.

Monday morning my shoulders ached from not having swum for ages, more swimming time must be booked in!

So on Wednesday I decided to forgo my ride to and from work to be fit for a swim session that night. My son on duty and duly gave me a swimfit card for 64 lengths, tis worked quite well and was certainly more interesting than just ploughing up and down for 64 straight lengths.

So then Thursday morning arrived and I duly pulled on my team Skoda kit and headed off to Milton Keynes for a training ride.

I was put in the first group to set off, this was supposed to be the fastest group of the day. Had I put down the right speed on my application?

Anyway as we rolled out behind the pros from Rapha Condor I felt good the pace was about right. It was good to be back riding in a group again trying to remember the etiquette that I learned on the last ride.

We were riding along quite nicely when a siren could be heard coming from behind. We duly strung out in a single line keeping close to the edge to let the Ambulance past. Unfortunately I hit a large stone on the road and a few metres later my back tyre had deflated.

Having stopped to change a tube it was obvious that my fellow riders follow the Top Gear etiquette in these situations and carried on riding.

Having replaced my tube and just starting to pump it up, the second group came past. Thankfully the Team Matrix car that was following them stopped and Stefan came running over with his track pump. Whilst Stefan pumped up my tyre and put the wheel back in my bike I cleared up my tools and punctured tube ready to give chase to the group that had just passed.



After a quick chase I managed to catch up and then sat on the back for a rest, my legs and lungs bursting. My rest was short lived as I somehow soon found myself on the front. Not knowing how fast this group wanted to ride I paced myself to the guy inside me. Then one of the pros from the matrix team came up to ask us to slow down, oops!

Having let someone else take a turn on the front, somehow I found myself back there again shortly after, unfortunately another call came from the back to take it easy I'm not very good at pacing!

Well I need to get back in the pool again, definitely won't be told to slow down there!!

p.s to be fair to my fellow riders who left me behind, I did just slip off the back quietly to change my tube!!
p.p.s Good luck to anyone taking on The Outlaw this weekend, below was me finishing last year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment